Why YouTube is the Best Place for Company Videos
Where should I upload my video? I get asked that question every time I produce a video for one of my clients. There are so many platforms available offering free or paid hosting services for videos, for example; Facebook, Vimeo, Wistia and so on. In this post I'm going to focus on the benefits of YouTube, and why for some businesses YouTube is the real deal.
So here are 10 reasons you should host your videos on YouTube
1. YouTube is free, totally free, which means that you can upload your video and it doesn't matter how big or long it is YouTube won't charge you for hosting it. But they might place an advert beside it if you monetise your channel or use copyrighted music or visuals in your videos.
2. YouTube has traffic, lots of it. That means if you upload your video to YouTube and optimise it there is good chance people will view it and it's free traffic too. It's important to remember that YouTube functions as a search engine, so if you can solve someones problem in your video, there is a good chance that YouTube will show it when that problem (query) is punched into the search box. On the flip side, if you create content no one is looking for, or has no interest in YouTube won't show it to people and you won't generate free traffic. The key words here are optimise (your videos) and research (your niche).
3. YouTube is easy to work with. All you need is a gmail account and you can get started. The interface is quite intuitive and it's straight forward to upload video. If you get stuck there are endless videos on YouTube to help you - it's easy. Also if you want to embed a YouTube video onto a website or social media it's also easy to copy and paste an embedded video link.
4. YouTube is happy for you to place your website URL in their description box which means if you point your viewers below the video to the description box there they can click on your links.
5. YouTube is SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) friendly which means that it can help you rank your website on Google. Google (who by the way own YouTube) like to see video content on websites and YouTube videos are easy for those crawler bots to find. Google also like to promote YouTube videos on Google search results, especially if it's a good search match.
6. YouTube gives you statistics on views and engagement. If you want to find out how many people are watching your video, where they are from and when they stopped watching YouTube can provide this valuable information. This can help you create the right content and also give you a better idea on your viewers trends.
7. YouTube lets you create playlists and can lead your viewers to watch more of your content. Playlists are great for organising your videos based on a specific topic or theme. It provides a series of videos for your viewers so they can continue watching your content. You can even add 'cards' throughout your video enabling viewers to consume more of your videos.
8. YouTube understands you don't always want the public viewing your videos. That's why it has a private mode so you can show your videos to selected viewers. There is also an unlisted mode which enables only people with the video's URL to view the videos. That means your video won't be found on YouTube searches or on your channel. This is a great mode which is very handy if you want to create hidden content for your clients.
9. You can make money from views - YouTube lets you monetise your videos. That means it will pay you if someone clicks on your ads while viewing. The only issue with this is that you will need at least 4,000 video viewing hours in the previous 12 months and 1,000 subscribers.
10. YouTube helps you create the right content (that's being searched for). If you are unsure if you're content is the right type of content, you can start writing your search query in the search bar and YouTube will complete your request by giving you a rough idea about what is being searched for and complete the sentence (similar to Google). But it doesn't end there... If you want to dig deeper there are free add ons you can get that will give some really valuable data on YouTubes search terms. Try Tube Buddy for some real insight to YouTube Searches.
Now you're probably asking "Should I upload all my business videos to YouTube?" Well, hold on there...
There are a few things to remember before you cancel your Wistia account and stop uploading videos to Facebook. Every business has different objectives when it comes to creating video and choosing a hosting platform. Having a video marketing strategy is key and incorporating your video hosting platform into that strategy is paramount. That means although YouTube is great for video there are many reasons why you might want to use a different platform for your video. Confused? Stay tuned for my next post on this topic.
Don't forget you can get some fantastic ideas for these links I compiled with THE COOLEST CORPORATE VIDEOS EVER. Click here.